State Coordinator, Robert Bremer
This Website is Adoptable!
Brief History of Storey County
The discovery of the Comstock Ledge in 1859, lead to the creation of Storey County in 1861. Encompassing the incorporated cities of Gold Hill and Virginia City, the Comstock, as it is fondly referenced, became the prototype of frontier mining boomtowns.
By 1865, the Comstock was a lively place, because of the mining activity, a large business section was developed. The communities were rich with fraternal organizations, churches, and several newspapers.
1869 brought the construction of the Virginia & Truckee Railroad through Storey County, and an even greater period of prosperity, lasting for nearly a decade.
The overall decline in production caused a decline in population, leaving the cities lacking in funds to provide services. Gold Hill dis-incorporated in 1881, Virginia City soon followed.
1938 the Virginia & Truckee railroad was abandoned and by 1943 the area was a virtual ghost town. A brief resurgence occurred early in the 20th century with open pit mining, but it was not enough to keep the area alive.
The 1950s brought a modern tourist boom to this rural area, resulting in an increase of county population.
There are many cemeteries in Virginia City and Gold Hill area of Storey County. All have been documented as historical and are part of the Virginia City Historic District as it appears on the National Historical Landmark Register and the Nevada State Historical Landmark Register.
This Website is Hosted by NVGenWeb.org
This page last updated on